What Is NABERS? 

The National Australian Built Environment Rating Scheme (NABERS) is a performance-based rating scheme administered by the Department of Environment and Climate Change.

NABERS benchmarks the operational performance of a property against its peers in an equitable manner. It measures an existing Commercial Building’s overall environmental performance during operation. The program is funded by the Australian Government.

How Does a NABERS Rating Work?

 EnergyWaterWasteIndoor environment
Base Y Y Y Y
Tenancy Y N Y Y
Whole Y Y Y Y
Hotel Y Y N N
Retail Y Y N N

6 Stars - Market leading performance
5 Stars – Excellent performance
4 Stars – Strong performance
3 Stars – Above average performance
2 Stars – Below average building performance
1 Star – Poor performance

The star rating system allows you to measure, manage and reduce the environmental impacts of your activities. NABERS is designed to provide you with a simple indication of how well you are managing these environmental impacts, as compared with your peers around the country.

For more information on NABERS OFFICE visit www.nabers.com.au 

What Is Needed to Get a NABERS Rating? 

A Nabers rating requires:

What Are the Costs Involved in Getting a NABERS Rating? 

There are two fees involved. 

The first fee is to the Accredited Assessor (NettZero) for their service. 

The second is a NABERS Accreditation Fee, which is collected by the Accredited Assessor and then paid to the NABERS administration team at the time when rating is submitted for certification. 

Fees will vary depending on the size of the property and the number of rating types.


Commercial Building Disclosure Scheme FAQ

What Is the Commercial Building Disclosure Scheme? 

Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) scheme will initially requires a NABERS Office Base Building Energy rating and Tenancy Lighting to be disclosed at the time of sale or lease; this applies for properties that have a Net Lettable Area of over 2,000m2.

What Is Included in a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC)? 

A BEEC includes:

• A NABERS Energy star rating for the building

• An assessment of tenancy lighting in the area of the building that is being sold or leased

• General energy efficiency guidance

The NABERS Energy star rating must be included in any advertisement for the sale, lease or sublease of the office space.

When Should I Get My Rating Done? 

We advise getting your rating done as soon as possible. A NABERS Rating requires a full 12 months of electricity data; this means that any changes you make to the building (or the metering arrangement) today will not be fully reflected in your NABERS Rating for another 12 months or more.

How Long Is a BEEC Valid For? 

Building energy efficiency certificates will remain valid for 12 months if the NABERS Rating and CBD Lighting Assessment are done concurrently.

Are there Any Penalties for Not Having My Building Assessed?

Compliance and enforcement details will be specified in the legislation. Possible enforcement provisions could include:

• A maximum penalty of $100,000 for each offence of non-disclosure

• Publishing of the names of organisations that have not complied on a publicly accessible website.

Do I Need to Continuously Maintain a Valid Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC)?

There is no requirement under the BEEC Act to continuously maintain a valid BEEC. 

A BEEC is only required to be obtained and registered prior to a building or building area being advertised or offered for sale, lease or sublease. 

A BEEC is also required to be registered if such a building or area is offered for sale, lease or sublease by an unincorporated entity, and an interested corporation requests that a BEEC be provided to it.

Building owners or lessors may decide, as part of their business planning, to carry out annual NABERS Energy ratings and CBD Tenancy Lighting Assessments to continuously maintain a valid BEEC.

Some owners or lessors may choose instead to undertake a NABERS Base Building Rating, on an annual basis, and to carry out a CBD Tenancy Lighting Assessment on an only-when-required basis (noting that these assessments may be carried out relatively quickly). 

Building owners or lessors will need to make a judgement about the appropriateness and cost-effectiveness of maintaining a continuous rating, and the timing of undertaking ratings to maintain continuity.

It is recommended that a building owner or lessor prepare for obtaining BEECs by ensuring that they have access to all the necessary data and information. 

Parties may also consider including clauses in leases or agreements to ensure ongoing access to the required information. Being prepared will facilitate the timely assessment of buildings for the purposes of obtaining a BEEC.

Who Needs to Disclose Their Rating?

Both Building Owners and Tenants will need to meet the requirements of the scheme if they are selling, leasing or sub-leasing office space, with a net lettable area of 2000m2 or more.

New office buildings will be exempt from the scheme until they have sufficient energy use data to obtain a rating.

Initially, the regulation will only apply to commercial office buildings; however, the Government has stated that it intends to extend the program to other commercial buildings, including hotels and retail shopping centres.

What Are the Two Phases of the Disclosure Scheme?

• Phase one – applying regulations to office buildings covering 2000m2 or more.

• Phase two – expanding these regulations to include disclosure to other commercial building types, including hotels, shops, schools and hospitals.

What are the benefits of the CBD Program?

Delivers consistent, credible, comparative and meaningful information about building energy efficiency. This will help you save on building expenses such as power and water.

Allows energy efficiency and energy costs to be considered by prospective buyers and tenants.

Provides Building Owners with information about how their buildings rate—which may factor into their decision for purchase or tenancy. 

Encourage more efficient buildings, lower energy use and lower emissions.

More sustainable buildings can improve staff morale, productivity, and help support green jobs.


City Switch Green Office FAQ

What Does Becoming a CitySwitch Signatory Entail?

By becoming a CitySwitch Green Office Signatory, your business acknowledges at a senior level that energy efficiency and climate change are serious issues.

Businesses signing on to the CitySwitch Green Office program will:

Undertake to have a NABERS rating conducted, to benchmark the current greenhouse performance of your office

Make a commitment to achieve and maintain an accreditation of four stars or higher NABERS Energy tenancy rating

Develop an action plan to achieve greenhouse commitments

Report to the Lord Mayor on your achievements

Participants also have the opportunity to attend seminars and networking events to share ideas and knowledge.

Nettzero can undertake all of the measurement and administration required for your organisation to join this program. As we have worked through the requirements many times we understand what needs to be done and can complete the activities quickly and efficiently.

To request more information click here.